Working Visas for Japan

Passport, global map and a laptop are prepared for going to the destination

To expand your business in japan, you may need to send employees from your native country and/or live in Japan yourself. To apply for a working visa, the following documentation is usually required;

  1. A valid passport
  2. A visa application form
  3. A passport-sized photograph (45mm x 45mm) taken within the last 6 months
  4. The original Certificate of Eligibility
  5. A photocopy of the Certificate of Eligibility

The Certificate of Eligibility is issued by the Japanese Ministry of Justice and is required by those applying to work, study, or live in Japan. The applicant’s sponsor, who must be in Japan (their employee, school, spouse etc.) must contact the local immigration office to make an application on their behalf. Below are some of professions included under the term ‘working visa’:Most professions can stay for 3 months, 1 year, 3 years, or 5 years. Business Managers can also acquire a 4 month visa. The following shows some categories of work that fit into this timespan:

  • Business Manager – e.g. company presidents, directors.
  • Legal/Accounting Services – e.g. attorneys, tax accountants, public accountants etc.
  • Medical Services – e.g. pharmacists, dentists, physicians etc.
  • Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services – e.g. IT engineers, designers, scientific engineers etc.
  • Intra-Company Transferee – e.g. overseas employees who have been transferred to the Japanese branch.
  • Skilled Labour – e.g. chefs specializing in food from a foreign country.

Some categories’ permitted length of stay are different; for instance, Specified Skilled Workers (foreign nationals with expertise and skills in certain industries) are allowed to live and work in Japan for a duration of 4 months, 6 months, 1 year, or 3 years. Someone classified under ‘Technical Intern Training’ are able to stay for 1 year or less.
Which category would you and your employees fall under? Bubufds Solution offers assistance with such entry requirements so that your overseas business development is easy and efficient. For more personalised advice on your business and visa requirements, click here.